Wednesday, August 21, 2013

8/21/2013 The final week of our mission

I have been so derelict in  finishing this blog.  Probably because that last week of saying goodbye was so painful and partly because we were so busy cleaning and giving things away.
On Wednesday we had our final interview with Pres. Anderson.  He is such a great and humble man.
  Ekbert and Louardis came to check on us.  He had been in the US for the past 6 or so months so we hadn't seen him but she had been by to visit.  We just loved them and would love to see them baptized. Our apartment owner was Louardis's sister, and a Mormon, but just a bit wacky.  Ekbert came to tell us where to leave the keys and came in to the bedroom to find me and gave me a big hug.  The Dominicans we knew were very warm and friendly.  I had no idea how hard it would be to leave them all.  We went to dinners with our senior missionary friends.  We took pizza out to the Sanchez family so we could spend some time with them.  Then on Sunday we took them to church for the last time.  Wilton went with us - I know he loved Scott like the father he did not have.  I wanted to just let them out and drive off like we always did because it would be much easier for us all, but no, Scott made me go to their house to say goodbye.  Eliana had given me a heart shaped rock which I will always treasure but when we got ready to leave she was sobbing and wouldn't even look at me.  I sat down by her and held her in my arms, sobbing with her. Wilton and William were crying in the doorway.  When I got up to leave Scott was saying goodbye to the kids and William put his arms around me while we both cried.  It is still so painful just remembering.  But I knew that was the most difficult thing we had to do - that the rest wouldn't hurt quite so much.

That night we went to the Dunfords for dinner.  They have been such good friends.  Then stopped to visit with Sister Mahon.  We are just praying that the rest of the mission for them will be a building one for their mission.  Sister Mahon has helped me deal with things that have always been very difficult for me with her energy healing  and in the process we became very good friends.  I love her and  am so thankful for her.

On Monday we worked to get everything done and had dinner with the Buttons.
We were supposed to be at the Casa at 8:00 pm to say goodbye to our returned missionary friends - Jose, Jose, Aldwin, and Cati but we didn't get there in time.  We had seen them earlier though but they had a musical number they were going to do for us.  I was so sad to miss that.  We had reserved a room at the Casa where the Buttons would pick us up on Tuesday morning.  By the time we said a tearful goodbye to the Yturraldes and given them all of the things we didn't know what to do with and said goodbye to the Despains and the Leavitts, it was almost midnight.  So we went to the Casa - to the same room with two single beds that we began our mission in.  We had to be up and ready to leave by 3:30 am so it was just a very short night.

I had such mixed feelings about leaving the Dominican Republic but in my heart I knew we needed to be home.  The Buttons dropped us off at the airport for our early flight home. It was wonderful
to get off the plane in SLC and see most of our children and grandchildren there.

I know that the past eighteen months have added so much to our lives.  The people we have met, taught, and loved will always be a part of us. We have been forced to grow in areas that we needed to grow in. Having to spend 18 months together serving a mission has enriched our marriage.  We will be forever grateful that we were able to serve a mission in the Dominican Republic!

No comments:

Post a Comment